Our review of visiting the Big Box indoor playground in Calgary with tips for your next visit.
In our series of exploring indoor playgrounds in Calgary, we’ve made it to the Big Box indoor playground near Deerfoot City.
Even though the parking lot looked small, the space is huge with many different features suitable for kids of all ages. It’s the only playground we’ve visited with a big inflatable park.
Big Box indoor playground
As you walk into the building, you notice the giant aerial rope course. It’s for kids above ten years, and admission is paid separately from the main playground.
When we paid our admission, they didn’t stamp our hands with matching numbers as common in other playgrounds. We entered the vast area and tried to locate the cubbies for shoes and coats.
The sitting area
The sitting area at the café is quite big and overlooks the aerial rope course on one side and bumper cars on the other.
They offer the usual indoor playground menu of pizza, chicken wings, hot dogs, nachos, chips, and Slurpees.
15 Best indoor playgrounds in Calgary
Play area at Big Box
After passing the big cubbies area with couches, another gate leads to the main play area. The left side was dedicated to the inflatable park. There are inflatables for toddlers with small obstacles and slides and inflatables for older kids.
The other side features a giant obstacle course with slides in the theme of a pirate ship. It’s a real maze with lots of fun slides and tunnels. The big inflatable slide was a big hit for lots of kids. On the side of the slide are several busy boards for small toddlers.
A fun feature I enjoyed with my 2-year-old son was the donut slide, and he loved the roller pins slide.
In the middle, a small play area is dedicated to young toddlers or even babies with small steps, a slide, and pit balls. There’s also a space for soft building blocks from which you can build a tower with a younger toddler or a big castle with older toddlers.
If you visit with a baby, there’s a quiet nursing & changing room in the corner by the inflatables and blocks.
I like that Big Box is built in an open atmosphere concept and not stuffed with structures on every step. Instead, kids have plenty of room to run around, and parents rest on big comfortable couches.
Info for visiting Big Box indoor playground
- Address: Unit 120 – 930 64th Ave NE, Calgary T2E 8S8 (near Deerfoot City)
- Contact: 403-244-2691, [email protected], Website
- Open: Monday – Sunday from 9 am to 9 pm
- Monday – Thursday: 7.99 Cad 1-3 years, 13.99 Cad 4-14 years, 15.99 Cad 15+ years
- Friday – Sunday/holiday: 11.99 Cad 1-3 years, 17.99 Cad 4-14 years, 19.99 Cad 15+ years
- Admission to the aerial rope course is 21.99 Cad/person & admission for interactive bumper cars is 5.99 Cad per ride (available from 3 years old)
Useful tips for Big Box indoor playground
- Kids under one and adults are free
- Up to 2 adults can accompany a kid
- Grip socks are mandatory, although they aren’t checking what socks you’re wearing as long as you have some. You can purchase grip socks for 2.99 Cad
- The floor is quite cold, so I’ll wear thick socks next time
- No outside food or drinks are allowed, so you need to purchase everything in their café
- Free big parking lot by the building; we were parking at another smaller parking lot
Other play spaces in Calgary
- Hide and Seek indoor playground
- Kidz Go indoor playground
- My Gym in Calgary: Children’s Fitness Centre
- Early Learning Centres in Calgary Public Libraries
- Creative Kids Museum at Telus Spark Science Centre
- Treehouse indoor playground
- Sky Castle indoor playground
- Flying Squirrel Trampoline Park
- The Beach YYC
- B-line indoor bike park
Have you visited the Big Box indoor playground? Share with us your experience in the comments.
Spread the word! PIN this to your Pinterest board.